Take the Missional Challenge is a 31 Day experience designed to help align believers with Jesus' mission. Each day's post includes missional concepts and activities. For more information - click here.
Those are powerful words. Every Christian is a missionary - a sent one - sent by Jesus with the message of the cross together in community with other Christians to engage those in culture wherever they live.
No one can say: 'Since I'm not called to be a missionary, I do not have to evangelize my friends and neighbors.' There is no difference, in spiritual terms, between a missionary witnessing in his home town and a missionary witnessing in Katmandu, Nepal. We are all called to go-even if it is only to the next room, or the next block. (Thomas Hale, On Being a Missionary)
Chapter 4 in Six-Word Lessons to Discover Missional Living focuses on ways to Think and Act Like a Missionary in your own zip code. Missional activities start wherever you are. You don't have to travel overseas to be a missionary. You can be a missionary where you live, where you work, and where you play.
Adopt Missional Thinking and Behaviors
If you are going to be live as a missionary in your own zip code, identifying what missionaries "do" is a critical starting point. Simply understood, missional behaviors are missionary behaviors.
1. Consider these missionary (missional) behaviors -
- Missionaries exegete their culture.
- Missionaries contextualize the gospel.
- Missionaries plant the gospel in the culture.
- Missionaries multiply disciples.
- Missionaries start new churches.
- Missionaries transform communities.
- Missionaries equip indigenous leaders.
- Missionaries encourage new believers.
- Missionaries get out of the way.
- Missionaries keep doing it again and again.
Day 16 Missional Challenge: Missional
behaviors are missionary behaviors. Start thinking and
acting like a missionary everywhere you go.
Like a Missionary
Shaped by His Mission